Do you have a strong passion for the development of Africa? Do you have innovative ideas on how the youth can contribute to Africa’s development? Do you want to expand your network by working directly with the African Union, United Nations ECOSOC, United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, World Bank, African Development Bank, the International Trade Centre and/or YALI? Do you want to attend meetings at the UN Headquarters in New York or World Bank in Washington DC or globally once the pandemic is over? Do you love to network and meet people from all over the world? Then this position is for you!
YALDA is a networking organization that is truly Africa branded: "By Africans, For Africa!".
YALDA is a non-profit international organization that was established by Harvard University students, who were born and raised in Africa, in order to create a resourceful networking database for those with a strong interest in Africa. The network is centered around YALDA branches, primarily at African universities and in Diaspora, and serves to increase the capacity of youth in Africa by developing positive leadership skills and espousing an honest work ethic.
YALDA US works on: organising virtual events and trainings; keeping young people informed about positive development stories in Africa through social media; researching opportunities in Africa; fundraising activities; establishing and working with branches; maintaining relationships with UN and World Bank, and compliance with regulations as a 501 (c)(3) non-profit/NGO status.
The Communications and Social Media Intern is responsible for developing and implementing new and innovative approaches to using social media networks for publicity. He/she will promote YALDA’s mission primarily on online social media platforms including public relations events. The position requires a person who is detailed oriented, confident and exercises initiative while maintaining a professional demeanor. To be successful the ideal candidate will work with minimal supervision, propose solutions to problems, and have excellent communication and interpersonal skills. This position requires primarily working from home with some outside site visits in New York.
- Develop thought-provoking, insightful, and entertaining communications that accurately reflect the voice and messaging
- Research on opportunities and relevant topics in African economic development and Diaspora collaboration
- Know best practices, but also experiment with and innovate new ways of using social media networks to make an impact
- Manage our social media presence and implement new ideas to grow audience and engagement
- Ensure social media pages are kept up to date
- Maintain regular reporting such as monthly reports and meeting notes
- Manage systems to monitor activity across our social media channels, assess our impact, and evaluate the success of our strategy; regularly update other staff about our performance
- Attend and report on events as a representative of YALDA
- Other tasks and responsibilities as needed
Requirements and Experience:
- Proven extensive knowledge and use of Facebook, Twitter, Hootsuite, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn
- Technologically savvy and can work remotely and collaboratively
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Strong passion for Africa, Diaspora Relations, and International Development
- Must have a personal computer and reliable internet connection
- Must be able to commit at least 15 hours a week
How to apply
Please send your Resume and Cover Letter to [email protected]. Please quote "YALDA Communications and Social Media Intern" in the subject line.
- Youth Alliance for Leadership and Development in Africa
- Job Posting Expires On