Program Officer - World Education Inc/The Bantwana Initiative
World Education (WEI) is seeking a full-time Program Officer within the Bantwana Initiative (www.bantwana.org) to join the Boston-based team providing home office support for programs throughout sub-Saharan Africa. Bantwana Initiative programs focus on the development of high quality, comprehensive Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC) service delivery in high HIV prevalence countries in southern and eastern Africa. Bantwana brings a significant track record of excellence and innovation in improving access to and quality of integrated OVC care and support and strengthening coordination and harmonization of care, protection and support services across the HIV continuum of response for OVC households from community to national level.
The Program Officer oversees a portfolio of current projects in one or more countries, and supports field staff in the daily management of these projects. An important component of the position is ensuring financial and contractual compliance with World Education, and public and private donor regulations, procedures, and reporting requirements. Program Officers, in collaboration with Boston-based senior advisors, coordinate technical and strategic interventions requested by field staff. Program Officers also participate actively in the preparation of new project proposals and may be charged with coordinating a proposal writing team and meeting submission deadlines.
The Program Officer also actively supports documentation and dissemination of programming, supporting the development of materials such as tech briefs, graphic models, PPT presentations, and disseminating these in collaboration with a Senior Officer or WEI’s communications team through digital channels such as social media, the Bantwana website, Exposure and Spark pages.
- Have a thorough understanding of World Education's mission, organizational structure, financial and program management policies, and strategic areas of intervention;
- Have a working knowledge of USAID funding mechanisms, proposal requirements, contract management, and reporting requirements;
- Primary responsibility for maintaining regular communications between the home office and field office;
- Review, monitor and analyze project expenses;
- Oversee Boston-based financial management of programs (including spending analysis, reporting, budget monitoring, sub-grant management, etc.);
- Ensure compliance with donor and World Education regulations, procedures and reporting requirements;
- Provide technical assistance, and coordinate provision of strategic and technical support for field programs;
- Assist with planning and implementation of project communications strategy;
- Play an active role in recruitment, proposal writing, reporting and delivery of in-country services as requested; and
- Initiate and participate in development of country strategy and new projects.
- Support project documentation and communication efforts, drafting technical documents, PowerPoints (PPTs), graphic models of programs, etc., and disseminating these through digital channels.
- At least three years of experience working with development programs, preferably in Africa;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills in cross-cultural settings;
- Experience in financial management, preparing and monitoring budgets;
- Strong program management skills including strategic planning and work plan development;
- Strong research, writing and analytical skills;
- Familiarity with Adobe Suite, Exposure, and Spark page sites preferred;
- Commitment to providing high quality support and services to World Education's field programs and local partners;
- Bachelor's degree in International Development or a related field required, Masters' degree preferred; and
- Based in Boston, and willing and able to travel to Africa at least twice a year.
- World Education Inc/The Bantwana Initiative
- Job Posting Expires On