North Shore AmeriCorps Member - United Way
ABOUT AMERICORPS AND THE UNITED WAY NORTH SHORE AMERICORPS PROGRAM:
AmeriCorps is a national community service program that gives people an opportunity to apply their skills and ideals towards helping others and meeting critical needs in the community. The United Way North Shore AmeriCorps Program is an innovative young program that places 30 AmeriCorps members in schools and nonprofit organizations throughout Lynn and Salem, MA, to help implement programs designed to reduce the school dropout rate among English Language Learners through strategic tutoring and mentoring programs. AmeriCorps members serve with their host sites, either in a school or a community based nonprofit that provides services to young people. Members provide structured tutoring and mentoring supports to English Language Learners, helping them succeed academically and socially in the community. Youth typically range in age from 8-17, depending on the site. Members complete eleven months of service, from September 2019 to July 2020. Collectively, the service of the AmeriCorps members ensures a holistic approach throughout the community to reduce the barriers to academic success for English Language Learners and their families.
AMERICORPS SERVICE REQUIREMENTS:
- Complete a minimum of 1700 hours of documented service over the course of one year, as well as the full-term of service (September 2019 – July 2020)
- Attend all Corps wide training and learning sessions
- Complete all required AmeriCorps documentation and reporting
- Must be a US Citizen or Permanent US Resident
- High School Diploma or GED
- Between the ages of 17 and 29 as of August 1st 2019
PREFERRED MEMBER QUALIFICATIONS:
- Experience with and/or commitment to youth development
- Interest in nonprofit organizations and/or public schools, and their development
- Organization and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Passion for national and community service
- Desire to work with diverse people, organizations and communities
- Positive attitude, flexibility and adaptability
- $17,000 taxable living allowance paid in bi-weekly installments
- $6,095 Segal Education Award upon completion of service
- Paid health and dental insurance
- Loan Forbearance
- Uniform parts
- North Shore YMCA Membership (for the year)
- Training and networking opportunities among a core groups of Corps members and other nonprofit professionals.
- Access to the United Way network for resources after service is complete
AMERICORPS MEMBER SELECTION TIMELINE:
- Application deadline is July 15th, 2019. Applicants will be notified on a rolling basis as applications are reviewed.
- September 3rd to September 20th, 2019 – Three week full team AmeriCorps Member orientation focused on understanding AmeriCorps, United Way, professional development and team building.
- September 23rd, 2019 – AmeriCorps Members begin full time service at sites
Apply now to serve as a 2019-2020 AmeriCorps Member!
- United Way
- Job Posting Expires On