Music Teaching Artist - Hyde Square Task Force
Hyde Square Task Force | Music Teaching Artist
Hyde Square Task Force (HSTF) is an award-winning youth development organization based in the Hyde–Jackson Square area of Jamaica Plain/Roxbury, known as Boston’s Latin Quarter. Founded over 25 years ago, HSTF now engages more than 800 youth ages 6–25 in college and career preparation, Afro-Latin arts and cultural enrichment, and community-building initiatives. In doing so, we ensure that youth have the arts and educational opportunities they need and deserve in order to be successful and that their voices and cultures are valued and celebrated in Boston’s Latin Quarter and beyond. Our work is guided by our mission: to amplify the power, creativity, and voices of youth, connecting them to Afro-Latin culture and heritage so they can create a diverse, vibrant Latin Quarter and build a just, equitable Boston.
Position: The Music Teaching Artist reports directly to the Music Programs Coordinator. This is a contracted teaching position up to 8 hours a week for the school year (excluding certain holidays and session breaks).
Fall Session - 10 weeks | Winter Session - 10 Weeks | Spring Session - 10 weeks
Job Summary: The Music Teaching Artist will work directly with the Music Programs Coordinator and is responsible for co-teaching music to a group of teens in the Hyde Square Task Force music programs. The Artist will be present during specific program hours and is available during occasional performances and events. Planning hours and meetings are included in the schedule. The Music Teaching Artist will work towards accomplishing the goals of the music programs:
● Foster an ensemble of youth ambassadors of Afro-Latin arts in Boston’s Latin Quarter and beyond.
● Cultivate young people’s musicianship and performance skills.
● Expose youth to Afro-Latin music styles, traditions, and history.
● Create an age-appropriate music curriculum including but not limited to any of the following areas: musicianship, improvisation, ensemble, and group and/or private lessons.
● Teach in an engaging manner that reflects Hyde Square Task Force’s culture during out-of-school time.
● Work with the Music Programs Coordinator to prepare youth for performances in Boston’s Latin Quarter and across Greater Boston.
● Support the Music Programs Coordinator to meet artistic program benchmarks and grant requirements.
● Attend select organization-wide events, performances, meetings, and training as needed.
● Communicate consistently (in person, phone, email) about issues or progress towards program goals.
● Submit invoices in a timely manner.
The above is not an exhaustive list of every duty and responsibility required. Other duties may be assigned.
● 2 years minimum experience with teaching music to urban youth.
● Preferred Music Education degree or equivalent experience in the field.
● Energetic teaching style.
● Strong classroom management skills.
● Ability to work weekdays (typically between 3:30 and 6:30 pm) and occasional evenings and weekends as needed.
● Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
● Successfully pass CORI and SORI background checks.
● Demonstrated ability to successfully work and communicate effectively and respectfully with youth and adults of all cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds.
● Must be flexible, organized, reliable, responsible, collaborative, and creative.
● Experience teaching at least 2 of the following instruments: piano, voice, guitar, and bass.
● Demonstrated expertise in Afro-Latin music preferred.
Pay Rate: Hourly wage of $35/hour. No benefits.
Interested candidates must be authorized to work legally in the United States. Candidates should submit their resume, cover letter, and a work sample (video clip of performance or class instruction, curriculum/lesson sample, etc.) to [email protected] No walk-ins or phone calls.
Hyde Square Task Force is an equal opportunity provider and employer. We value having a diverse staff who are representatives of the community we serve and bring to our organization a variety of traditions, experiences, and points of view. Individuals of all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Hyde Square Task Force
- Job Posting Expires On