Updated: April 21, 2021
Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Associate
Reports to: Senior Impact Analyst
Status: Full-time, exempt.
Start Date: Immediately
Location: Open; must be authorized to work in the US, Mexico, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Colombia, or Kenya
About Root Capital:
Root Capital invests in the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of impact that raise incomes, create jobs, empower women and young people, sustain peace, and preserve vulnerable ecosystems. Root Capital supplies these businesses with vital resources: access to capital, targeted advisory services, and trade and technical partners. We work in hard-to-serve geographies where others don’t. To date, we have loaned $1.2 billion and trained nearly 1,600 enterprises to improve the lives of six million people in farming communities.
About our Impact Team
Root Capital’s Impact Team team holds three main functions: we monitor, measure, and manage the social and environmental performance of our Lending program; we track the implementation and uptake of our Advisory Services; and we conduct deep-dive evaluations to understand the impact of our Lending and Advisory services on our client businesses, as well as their contributions to smallholder communities in sub-Saharan Africa, Latin America, and Indonesia. We design monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) systems; collect and analyze data from hundreds of businesses and thousands of farmers a year; and communicate our findings internally and externally to inform our work and contribute evidence to the broader fields of agricultural finance and enterprise capacity building.
The M&E Associate will support the Impact team with two critical areas of work:
- Research assistance, data cleaning and analysis, and reporting on Root Capital impact evaluations.
- Systems development, data analysis, team capacity building, and knowledge management for Root Capital’s Advisory monitoring program.
Under the first area of work, the M&E Associate will support activities across the impact evaluation process, including survey development, data collection, data cleaning, and preliminary data analysis. The M&E Associate will also create data visualizations and contribute research assistance and copy editing for evaluation reports. Finally, the M&E Associate will assist in the preparation of study presentations, conduct literature reviews on developments in evaluation methodology, and support study administration. Under the second area of work, the M&E Associate will support the design and validation of monitoring tools for Root Capital’s Advisory Services, train staff, conduct data cleaning and analysis, promote knowledge management, and contribute to M&E capacity building organization-wide.
The M&E Associate will report to Isabel DoCampo, Senior Impact Analyst. The M&E Associate will collaborate closely with the entire Impact team, especially the MEL Officer for Advisory Services, as well as Root Capital staff across our global offices. This role represents an exciting opportunity for candidates with a passion for monitoring, evaluation, and learning to apply and deepen their technical expertise within a global, cross-functional and multicultural team committed to rigorous impact measurement.
- Impact Evaluation Support (50%)
● Survey Preparation and Data Collection
○ Conduct literature reviews and assist in survey development and programming for Root Capital impact evaluations
○ Draft and edit materials for enumerator training; coordinate enumerator training and data collection efforts in rural communities in Latin America, Africa and Indonesia as needed
● Data Cleaning, Analysis, and Reporting
○ Clean data according to Impact Team standards and assist in preliminary analysis of quantitative and qualitative data; ensure that data is accessible and properly formatted
○ Prepare preliminary summaries of data analysis and/or research findings, including text, charts, data visualizations, and presentations (for internal and external audiences)
○ Provide research assistance and copy editing for impact evaluation reports
● Study Administration
○ Support impact evaluation administration (i.e. obtaining client approvals, managing invoices, scheduling meetings and presentations).
- Advisory Monitoring Support (50%)
● Advisory Monitoring Systems Development
○ Support the design and validation of Theory of Change and M&E Plans for Root Capital’s Advisory Services, which include capacity building on financial management, business intelligence, and climate resilience for small-and-growing businesses
○ Contribute to the creation and testing of data collection tools/templates to monitor Advisory performance indicators; assist the Advisory Team in tool use
● Advisory Data Management and Quality Assurance
○ Clean and prepare raw data for analysis; conduct in-depth data analysis with guidance from the MEL Officer for Advisory Services
○ Collaborate on the design of global dashboards and reports on Advisory M&E findings
● Organization-Wide Capacity Building and Knowledge Management
○ Conduct literature reviews and desk research to inform programs and M&E systems
○ Coordinate reflection meetings regarding M&E findings and staff training workshops
Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in international relations, economic development, social sciences, environmental sciences, or related field; familiarity with impact investing and/or agricultural finance strongly preferred.
- At least one year of professional experience in survey research, including data collection, cleaning and analysis, or other relevant work incorporating quantitative and qualitative research, ideally in a low- or medium-income setting.
- Knowledge of experimental and quasi-experimental impact evaluation methods. Strong analytical abilities and quantitative skills.
- Proven experience and skills in developing monitoring, evaluation, and learning tools, including Theory of Change and Logical Frameworks.
- Advanced proficiency in STATA and Microsoft Excel required; proficiency in other Microsoft Office applications and Google Workspace. Proficiency in data visualization software (Tableau or similar) and data collection platforms (SurveyCTO or similar) preferred.
- Superior written and oral communication skills in English. Working proficiency (ability to read and write internal communications and converse with internal staff) in Spanish required. Proven ability to produce clear reports for technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Self-starter with ability to flexibly manage multiple tasks in a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment.
- Willingness to travel to rural communities in Latin America, Africa and/or Indonesia 1-3 times per year.
- Service-oriented mindset with the ability to proactively and creatively identify and address program needs.
- Commitment to Root Capital’s mission.
Root Capital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, active military or veteran status, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, medical conditions related to pregnancy and childbirth, and breastfeeding and expressing breast milk), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Root Capital is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that upholds our leadership principles of: empowerment, equity, integrity, service, and transparency.
To apply, please visit: https://rootcapital.org/careers/
- Root Capital
- Job Posting Expires On