Model UN Fellow - United Nations Association of Greater Boston
Job Description: Model UN Fellow – Full Time
Who we are
The United Nations Association of Greater Boston is dedicated to building a strong network of global citizens in the Boston area. We inform, inspire and mobilize members of the community to engage with critical globalissues central to the work and mission of the United Nations.
What we do
Our Education Team furthers this mission by creating opportunities for young people to develop as productive global citizens through the experience of Model UN as a learning platform. Through our educational program, we equip the next generation of globally-minded civic leaders with key 21st skills of communication, collaboration, creative problem solving, and critical thinking.
UNAGB achieves this by (1) developing high quality programs and materials that set a standard for civic and global learning (2) connecting K-12 students with members of the local diplomat community, collegiate Model UN’ers, professors, and professionals, and (3) providing differentiated curriculum and support structures for all programs.
Key activities include:
• Supporting teachers in using Model UN as in-class curriculum (developed in-house)
• Organizing 8 annual Model UN conferences
• Running week-long Institutes in Global Leadership (Summer)
We reach nearly 100 schools and over 4,000 students each year and plan to expand our reach and impact over the next few years.
Role: Model UN Fellow
The Model UN Fellow’s primary responsibility is to manage 8 conferences (including event planning, curriculum development, training of staff, and support for teachers and parents). In addition, the Model UN Fellow will teach Model UN parliamentary procedure lesson and facilitate simulations and play a key leadership role in the recruitment of students and teaching at Institutes in Global Leadership. The Model UN Fellow will also engage in educational strategic planning, evaluation, communications, and general leadership of the UNAGB teaching community. This role reports directly to the Education Director.
• Manage Model UN Conferences (School Year)
o Coordinate arrangements (site selection, transportation, registration, meals, etc.)
o Select and support the collegiate Model UN students who partner with us on conferences
(some evening work required)
o Communicate and onboard schools joining the conferences (invoicing and country
o Act as lead conference administrator (some Saturday work required)
o Determine conference topics and schedule for Model UN Conferences
o Manage Model UN conference budget
o Manage curriculum development and improvements for conferences
• Teach Model UN (School Year)
o Teach Model UN parliamentary procedure lessons
o Facilitate in-class Model UN simulations
• Recruit and Teach Institutes in Global Leadership (Summer)
o Develop a recruitment strategy to expand summer programs
o Manage registration and scholarship application process for summer institute
o Manage and execute recruitment strategy
o Manage Model UN conference budget
o Develop and deliver core lessons for Institutes in Global Leadership
• General UNAGB Staff Responsibilities (Year-Round)
o Support and assist with the overall goals of the United Nations Association of Greater Boston,
including participating in staff and planning meetings and, from time to time, assisting in
UNAGB events for the general public.
o With all members of the UNAGB team, office-management tasks as needed
o Hire and manage members of the UNAGB intern team
• Passion and commitment to the mission and a high level of ownership over initiatives
• BA or BS required
• Model UN delegate experience strongly preferred; MUN leadership/conference management preferred
• Strong working knowledge of global issues and current events
• Experience working with K-12 students a plus
• Skilled with Microsoft Office and the Google suite required; Wordpress preferred
• Willing and able to pass a background check
• Active driver’s license and willingness to drive to schools throughout region (car not required)
• Superb organizational, self-management, and problem-solving skills
• Superb interpersonal skills with colleagues
• Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
• Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships in a team setting
Commensurate with experience.
How to Apply (please follow directions precisely)
Email cover letter, and resume in one document (either Word or PDF) to [email protected] Subject line should be in the following format: Model UN Fellow – Last Name, First Name.
- United Nations Association of Greater Boston
- Job Posting Expires On