Institute in Global Leadership Intern (Unpaid) - United Nations Association of Greater Boston
UNAGB Institute in Global Leadership Intern (Unpaid)
October 2019 – Early June 2020
About the Organization
A 501(c)(3) nonprofit, the United Nations Association of Greater Boston (UNAGB) has dedicated over 60 years to building a network of globally aware citizens in the Greater Boston area. With a core staff of 4 full-time employees supported by a team of 5-8 college interns, we provide a high-quality global education program consisting of a school-based Model UN program, interscholastic Model UN conferences, and week-long summer institutes to more than 5,000 students and teachers each year. Using Model UN as a platform, UNAGB equips students with the skills to be global thinkers and local leaders. Program development is led by our education staff and entirely funded by local grants, donations, and program fees.
About the Role
Each year, UNAGB’s Summer Institute in Global Leadership brings together hundreds of students from all over the world to learn about important global issues. During these week-long programs from June-August, students (or delegates, as we refer to them!) learn about a specific issue (such as global health, human rights, climate change, etc.). As they uncover facts, meet inspiring guest speakers, and discover unique perspectives of the problem at hand, students emulate the role of civic leaders eager to make the world a better place. By the end of the week, students are experts themselves and are ready to develop solutions. Using Model UN as a platform for debate, they role-play international leaders negotiating solutions to the problem.
The Institute in Global Leadership Intern will be responsible for preparing curriculum and materials for each of the week-long programs planned for summer 2020. She / he will assess the materials used in previous years, establish a plan for curriculum and materials development, and execute the plan under the guidance of the Senior Manager of Marketing and Communications.
· Evaluate previous program materials, identify curriculum strengths and weaknesses, and create an improvement plan with monthly goals
· Conduct research on global issues, develop student-friendly materials for each program
· Develop a “menu of activities” to be used for any program week to help build skills in communication, collaboration, problem solving, critical thinking, and perspective-taking
o Create a log of clear and concise lesson plans for each activity
· Manage material development, including but not limited to the creation of student folders, Model UN simulations, daily activities, etc.
· Create training materials for UNAGB’s 2020 Summer Intern Team
· Support with on-boarding and training of 2020 Summer Intern Team
· Support with other administrative tasks as needed
Qualifications and requirements:
· Must be able to commit to the entire length of the internship, from October 2019 through early June 2020 at a minimum of 20 hours per week
· Experience lesson planning and teaching middle and/or high school students
· Passionate about global issues and the goals of the UN
· Exceptionally strong communication, research, and writing skills required
· Model UN, Model Congress, or Speech & Debate, student government, or theater a plus
· Strong self-management and organization skills required
· Ability to work with a small, collaborative team required
· Has completed relevant coursework; majoring in education, international relations, economics, political science, or a related field
· Time commitment: 20-25 hours per week, Monday-Friday. Specific weekly schedule is flexible
· On-site at the UNAGB’s office at 85 Devonshire Street, Boston MA (a short walk from State Street, Government Center, and Park Street T-stops)
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected] Applications are due by September 30, 2019.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, applicants will be asked to participate in a short phone interview and in-person interview, submit 1-2 writing samples, and provide email addresses for 1-2 references.
- United Nations Association of Greater Boston
- Job Posting Expires On