Human Resources Manager - D-tree International, Inc
Who we are
D-tree International is on a mission to radically improve health by strengthening health systems through innovations in digital technology. D-tree works through partnerships with Ministries of Health and NGOs to bring human-centered design approaches to collaborations in which we support partners to understand local health system challenges and opportunities, and integrate technology into these systems to improve the accessibility, quality and accountability of healthcare delivery, ultimately leading to high-performing health systems that improve health and wellbeing for all. A key aspect of our work is our end-to-end partnership, in which we also support partners to use systems thinking to roll out, implement and monitor programs and facilitate a culture of data use among multiple stakeholders.
D-tree has received funding from USAID, the Gates Foundation, Rockefeller Foundation, Foundation Botnar, Human Development Innovation Fund, Packard Foundation, UN Foundation and more than 20 international NGOs. As a pioneer in the field of digital health, D-tree has supported more than 8,000 health workers serving over 5 million families in 16 countries throughout sub-Saharan Africa and Asia. Evaluations have demonstrated improved heath impact through D-tree’s digital programs, including 27% reduction in maternal mortality, 50% increase in facility delivery rates, four-fold increase in postpartum follow-up, 70% increase in contraceptive prevalence rates and 15-fold improvements in health worker performance. In Zanzibar, D-tree is supporting the government to develop and institutionalize digital health initiatives at national scale, transforming service delivery and improving care for millions of people.
Within the last 1.5 years, D-tree has grown from 22 to 41 staff across offices in Boston, Washington DC, Tanzania (Dar es Salaam and Zanzibar) and Malawi. We anticipate continuing this growth, including to new country offices in the next 1-3 years, and have identified a critical need for a Human Resources Manager to support our growing team.
Who you are
We are seeking a full time, motivated professional to work closely with our operations team to develop and manage the overall administration, coordination, and evaluation of human resources plans and programs within our global team. You have at least 5 years of experience in a similar role at an international NGO and will be able to step into this position and help guide the direction of HR within the organization. You are someone who takes initiative, thinks creatively and embraces a variety of challenging yet inspiring work responsibilities and thrives in fast paced, multi-cultural work environments. You have a passion for developing systems and processes to support a diverse workforce as well as a keen eye for detail and eagerness to learn and contribute to a high functioning, innovative team in an international setting.
What you will do
The Human Resources Manager is an exempt, full-time management-level position and is responsible for managing a broad array of responsibilities around talent acquisition, strengthening employee relations and compliance with international and domestic labor laws. Specific responsibilities include recruitment and onboarding, compliance for a multiple US and international offices and cadres of employees and consultants, compensation standardization and employee records. Select responsibilities include:
Attract top talent
· Develop strategies to improve our ability to identify top talent through targeted recruitment plans, compelling job descriptions and networking
· Provide support to hiring managers throughout the hiring process, including finalizing job descriptions, posting open positions, candidate screening / interviewing, reference checking, finalizing terms of employment, and making job offers
· Manage and refine the new-hire onboarding process, and follow up with supervisors and new hires to support engaging onboarding experiences which set new team members up for success
· Lead D-tree efforts around diversity, equity and inclusion
Administration of salary and benefits
· Coordinate changes in payroll, employment status and benefits with COO, taking the lead on communicating and interpreting benefits, eligibility and enrollment procedures/timelines to staff
· Work with senior management to set compensation budgets and ensure the timely completion of performance evaluations and thus the implementation of timely salary increases
· Establish salary bands and job grades, with clear criteria to guide processes for triggering promotions and changes to staff compensation
· Continually assess the internal equity and the competitiveness of D-tree’s compensation against the relevant comparable organizations and markets
· Manage all staff movements (promotion, transfer and exit)
· Assist with relocation, work permit applications and other tasks related to international staff movement
Create and improve compliance and systems
· Monitor D-tree’s adherence to government regulations and implementation of relevant employment laws
o Be well versed in the various cadres of employment and accompanying labor laws applicable to D-tree’s team (labor regulations for mainland Tanzania, Zanzibar and Malawi) and ensure hiring managers and supervisors apply the correct contract templates and terms and conditions for each new hire
o Ensure D-tree policies properly take into account such labor laws and track well to operational procedures (ie – timesheet tracking)
o Manage state registrations and compliance filings for: MA, NH, MD and DC
· Review, update, clarify and make recommendations for organization’s personnel policies and ensure systems meet standards for compliance
· Maintain all personnel files, ensuring their completeness and compliance with confidentiality guidelines
· Maintain tracking system for all types of leave for all employees and active communication loop for employees on leave balances
· Work with finance team to implement a robust time tracking system that ideally enables up to date paid time off balances to staff and complies with labor laws for various states, federal and countries
· Develop and implement HR Information Systems to improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the organization
Prepare HR systems for continued growth
· Develop HR strategies to support organizational growth for expansion into 2 new countries with a global staff of 60-70 in the next 5 years
· Lead efforts to register D-tree in new country offices, in full compliance with government regulations and employment laws
· Develop policies and systems for expatriate staff benefits packages
· Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or related field required; advanced degree preferred
· Minimum 5 years of experience in a similar position with an international organization, with a preference for 7+ years of experience
· Global Professional in Human Resources (GPHR) certification highly desirable
· Experience setting up and executing a range of HR systems and processes
· Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment and MS Office; HRIS databases; skills in database management and record keeping
· Excellent interpersonal skills with superior oral and written communication skills
· Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced, remote setting
· Thorough knowledge of applicable employment law and practices and willingness to learn new geographies
· Excellent organizational skills with a strong attention to details
· Ability to work independently and within a team and accept responsibility
· Ability to address complex and sensitive issues with confidentiality, good judgment and professionalism
· A can-do attitude: You remain optimistic in the face of adversity and creatively solve problems to get things done.
· An exceptional communicator: You understand complex technical topics and are able to communicate them effectively to non-technical audiences.
· A detail oriented & strategic thinker: You pay attention to small details and focus on quality and consistency, but also have the ability to see the big picture and think strategically.
· Accountability & Reliability - Takes ownership and responsibility for decisions, actions, and results; delivers on commitments.
· Initiative – Must display a sense of urgency to effectively and efficiently complete a varying workload in a timely manner. Can initiate actions independently, handles unexpected situations, and volunteers to assist others.
· Adaptability – Ability to adapt to change and respond to challenges positively. Able to manage a variety of different tasks as needed for the position. Can develop and / or learn new processes/systems quickly, and embraces the challenge of unfamiliar tasks.
· Collaborative - Brings a track record of working effectively with various and diverse individuals and groups, and a willingness to actively listen and invite different views and opinions across all levels of the institution to build alignment in support of a common goal.
· We go above and beyond because people’s health and lives are at stake
· We respectfully challenge the status quo as we are always in search of a better way
· We think big because we have faith in our ability to succeed
· We keep the people we work for and with at the center of everything we do
· We value balance between work and life
· We are excellent stewards of time, resources and money
· We continuously learn and adapt to become the best version of ourselves
· We believe that our strength lies in our diversity and how we perform as a team
To apply for this role please follow the instructions below. Applications which do not meet these requirements will not be considered.
To apply for this position, please fill in the form here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1jn5tx_aLbLVTrWxvMf73F3ICQfUZauOnvQN1wFzWfpQ/edit
You will need to include:
1. Cover letter, clearly and concisely explaining how you meet the required skills and experience specified above
2. Your current Curriculum Vitae (CV) or resume, showing your work history & achievements
3. Two short essays answering the following questions:
· Describe how you have demonstrated your ability to improve recruitment and talent acquisition at an international organization (max 1,500 characters)
· Describe your experience supporting compliance in a field office in a low- or middle-income country (max 1,500 characters)
Deadline for applications: Open until filled
*Candidates must have legal authorization to work in the United States
- D-tree International, Inc
- Job Posting Expires On