Grants Manager (Madagascar) - PIVOT Works, Inc.
Title: Grants Manager
Reports to: Director of Development
Location: Ranomafana, Madagascar
Percentage Effort: Full-time
Key Words: Grant management, development
Start Date: August 2019 (or sooner)
Expected Commitment: Minimum of 2 years
PIVOT (www.pivotworks.org) is a global health care NGO guided by the principle that all people have intrinsic worth and deserve to live healthy and productive lives. As a social justice organization working in a setting of extreme poverty and disease, PIVOT’s core objective is to address social inequity by advancing universal access to quality healthcare, while creating a health care system that can serve as a model for the country of Madagascar. Since 2014, PIVOT has partnered with the government of Madagascar to strengthen the health system and create a model health district in Ifanadiana district, adjacent to Ranomafana National Park and 11 hours from the capital. The district has a catchment area of 200,000 people, more than 75 percent of whom live in extreme poverty.
Since its founding in 2014, support for PIVOT has come primarily in the form of unrestricted funding from individual donors. More recently, the organization has been soliciting and receiving grants with designated purposes from foundations and individuals. Philanthropic support for PIVOT has grown from $2.6 million in FY14 to $4.3 million in FY18, with an expectation of continued exponential growth. In FY18, grant support from eight foundations totaled $700,000. This evolution in PIVOT’s fundraising requires further proposal development in specific programs and projects, tracking and reporting on financial and other grant deliverables, as well as stewarding donors who have provided designated support. These activities call for close collaboration with program managers in Madagascar to ensure their active participation in the full grant lifecycle, from proposal generation through final reporting in adherence to grant agreements.
To support ambitious plans for health care delivery and research, accompanied by related budget growth, PIVOT seeks a Grants Manager to be based in rural Madagascar as part of its Development team. Working closely with PIVOT’s site-based program managers and finance team, the Grants Manager will develop and manage systems to support proposal development and grant reporting for designated programs and projects. The Grants Manager will also collaborate closely with US-based Development team members and program managers to support grant conceptualization, broader giving strategies and donor relation.
Planning and Strategy Development
● Participate in overall development planning, as well as funding and stewardship strategy on specific projects.
● Identify funding opportunities based on existing program needs, new programs and projects, and awareness of funder interests.
● Communicate with relevant program staff and finance team on grant awards, reporting requirements and deliverables - including actively monitoring programs awarded restricted funding.
● Manage reporting deadlines to ensure on-time deliverable submission.
● Utilize PIVOT’s DonorPerfect database and other tools to track funders, grants received, projected and actual spending, and projected and actual workflows.
● Collaborate with the finance team to support shared Development-Finance grants management systems and to provide financial deliverables to funders.
● Steward donor gifts in collaboration with other Development team members, including donor communications, interim project updates, and general developments / media.
● Coordinate donor and prospect visits to Madagascar, assuring logistics for travel and accommodations, facility visits, community expeditions and staff meetings.
● Assist with donor prospect research.
● Actively track progress of work plan and strategy changes for all clinical programs, particularly those most commonly funded by restricted funding partners, to keep the US-based Development team informed on program progress and planning.
● Coordinate discussions with the finance team, program managers and other Development team members related to proposal conceptualization and actual proposal development.
● Participate in the proposal drafting process and assemble related materials.
● Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred.
● Between 1-3 years of relevant professional experience, preferably with project and budget management, or proposal development and tracking responsibilities.
● Experience living and working in a resource-poor, international setting preferred.
● Long term commitment to living and working in rural Madagascar, minimum of two years. The role requires a full-time presence in the Ifanadiana District.
● Demonstrated commitment to global health, social justice and working in solidarity with the rural poor. It is critically important to believe strongly in the work PIVOT does, to advocate on behalf of the patients, and to truly enjoy working to fulfill the mission of the organization.
● Proficiency with Google suite, Microsoft Office, DonorPerfect or a similar DMS / CRM.
● Professional French and English language proficiency required, including reading, writing and conversing. The office and program teams in Madagascar operate in French, while the headquarters and board of directors operates in English.
● Malagasy language ability considered an extraordinary asset, as is any substantial experience in Madagascar or working with the Malagasy public health system.
● Superb attention to accuracy and detail.
● Strong writing and editing skills.
● Energetic, hard-working, problem-solver.
● Excellent administrative and communication skills.
● Ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
● Sense of humor and flexibility in the face of complicated international work.
Please submit your CV and letter of interest to [email protected] no later than June 18, 2018. Applications will be considered and interviews scheduled on a rolling basis. Please refer to the job title in the title of your email.
For more information on PIVOT, please visit our website at www.pivotworks.org.
- PIVOT Works, Inc.
- Job Posting Expires On