Finance and Administration Officer - D-tree International, Inc
Who we are
D-tree International is a digital health organization with 15 years of experience using innovations in technology to strengthen the quality of health systems in low and middle income countries. D-tree works through partnerships with Ministries of Health and NGOs to bring human-centered design approaches to collaborations in which we support partners to define key programmatic challenges and priorities, explore if and how technology can be used to improve program efficiency and quality, and then work with our partners to choose the most appropriate technology platform to meet their needs. This may include using or building on existing tools, or configuring new solutions through a variety of software platforms. A key aspect of our work is our end-to-end partnership, in which we also support partners to use systems thinking to roll out, implement and monitor programs and facilitate a culture of data use among multiple stakeholders.
D-tree has received funding from USAID, the Gates Foundation, Rockefeller Foundation, Foundation Botnar, Human Development Innovation Fund, Packard Foundation, UN Foundation and more than 20 international NGOs. As a pioneer in the field of digital health, D-tree has supported more than 8,000 health workers serving over 5 million families in 16 countries throughout sub-Saharan Africa and Asia. In the past year, we have doubled our operating budget as well as the D-tree team and are looking for the right candidate to support this and future growth.
Who you are
We are seeking a full time Finance and Administration Officer based in the Boston area, to support the accounting, human resource and administrative functions of a small but complex and growing non-profit. This is a dynamic and challenging role requiring an individual with exceptional attention to detail, initiative and interest in international development.
You are professional, motivated, and a self-directed team player. You are someone who is just as comfortable traveling to D-tree country offices in East Africa to train colleagues on accounting best practices and D-tree policies and procedures as you are sitting in a conference room in Boston or Dar es Salaam representing D-tree to auditors. You function well in situations with ambiguity and are able to make decisions with partial information and push to deliver high quality work within deadlines.
What you will do
You will be an integral member of the expanding D-tree global operations team, supporting project managers and financial admin staff for our work globally. You will support our field teams to follow D-tree policies and procedures to ensure a timely month end close process is achieved every period. You will take a leading role on developing and improving on D-tree financial processes to support our growth.
Key Responsibilities include:
· Prepare financial reports, bank reconciliations and other general accounting functions
· Maintain accurate and up-to-date financials in accounting system, including internal review of field office transactions together with global support team
· Review supporting back-up for a selection of transactions across our portfolio each month to ensure adherence to policies and proper documentation is in place
· Closely track level of effort for all project staff against budgets
· Work closely with grant, compliance and finance colleagues as well as program managers on program budget vs actual tracking
· Record accounts payable transactions ensuring proper approvals are in place and policies are followed
· Ensure teams are following electronic filing system for accounting records for multiple offices
- Review monthly financial reports and provide feedback to the field offices on issues and corrections to the account data
- Assist with HR functions including payroll administration and staying abreast of labor laws for US based operations as well as country offices (currently Tanzania and Malawi – but potentially new locations during periods of growth and expansion)
- Coordinate with country office finance and administrative staff (currently three other individuals) to ensure compliance with D-tree policies, procedures and grant and contract terms
· With finance and program teams, prepare and/or review financial reports to meet funding agency requirements
- Assist manage recurring and year-end reconciliations and audit schedules in preparation for annual audit
- Contribute policy revisions and solidify compliance processes
- Provide training and support to D-tree field teams on Quickbooks and D-tree financial policy and procedures
- Keep D-tree forms up to date and useful
- Inventory maintenance and oversight for accuracy and integrity
- Respond to internal and external inquires in a timely and professional manner
- Maintain QBs memorized reports and keep relevant and current
- Assist with procurement processes and ensure maintenance of procurement records
- Provide advice on ways to improve the field accounting function for multiple projects and multiple donors
- Based on knowledge of expenditure patterns in field offices, review monthly cash requests in coordination with Program Managers and COO
- Analyze various pools of costs for accuracy and trends (fringe pool, indirect, year over year expenditures)
- Assist with analysis and recording of revenue activity and indirect allocations
- Investigate issues/problems/questions from country office financial team, make approved adjustments and corrections in financial system as needed;
· Prepare assigned yearly audit schedules for US or country based audits
- Act as liaison or occasionally lead for global finance team on country based or grant specific reviews and audits (quarterly or annual as needed)
- Other duties to make the operations department and organization successful
What we are looking for
We are looking for a motivated, passionate individual who is willing to wear multiple hats and do what it takes to help our organization be successful. The following attributes are a general overview, but we will consider individuals who do not meet all of the details below if you have the right skillset and attitude.
· Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred (accounting, business management, public administration or related field)
· At least three years of experience in non-profit bookkeeping, accounting or administrative management with increasing levels of responsibility
· Familiarity and working knowledge of US Federal grant and contract regulations, international activities/ issues relevant to D-tree’s operations
· Excellent attention to detail (ability to pay attention to small details and focus on quality and consistency while also understanding the big picture)
· Excellent organizational skills and persistent follow through on tasks (both your own and tasks pending from colleagues)
· Must be able to work independently, multi-task, collaborate with a distributed team, be persistent and work under tight deadlines with minimal supervision
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Excel
· Prior experience with Quickbooks
· Qualified to work in the US
· Desire and ability to travel internationally up to 10% of the time
· Comfortable working remotely and in a small office environment
· Experience in global non-profit administration preferred
· Accountability & Reliability - Takes ownership and responsibility for decisions, actions, and results; delivers on commitments.
· Initiative – Must display a sense of urgency to effectively and efficiently complete a varying workload in a timely manner. Can initiate actions independently, handles unexpected situations, and volunteers to assist others.
· Adaptability – Ability to adapt to change and respond to challenges positively. Able to manage a variety of different tasks as needed for the position. Can develop and / or learn new processes/systems quickly, and embraces the challenge of unfamiliar tasks.
· Problem Solving – Ability to proactively identify issues and take action by analyzing all the information skillfully to persistently purse positive outcomes. Uses sound judgment about when to take action and when to seek guidance.
· Compliance & Quality – Must ensure accuracy, meet established deadlines of work, produce a quality product and show commitment to continuous improvement efforts. Ability to learn, interpret, and comply with all organization policies and procedures.
· Collaborative - Brings a track record of working effectively with various and diverse individuals and groups, and a willingness to actively listen and invite different views and opinions across all levels of the institution to build alignment in support of a common goal.
To apply for this role please follow the instructions below.
Email the following documents to [email protected] subject line: “Finance Officer”
1. Cover letter, clearly and concisely explaining how you meet each of the required skills and experience specified above.
2. Your current Curriculum Vitae (CV) or resume, outlining your work history.
3. A work sample may be requested.
- D-tree International, Inc
- Job Posting Expires On