Fall 2020 Legal Internship - Institute for Justice & Democracy in Haiti
IJDH is seeking 1-2 part-time legal interns passionate about supporting struggles for justice in the Global South. In partnership with the BAI, IJDH advances groundbreaking legal and advocacy work, and works to hold the United Nations accountable for abuses it commits in Haiti. Interns are fully integrated into our legal and advocacy docket, including efforts towards UN accountability for introducing cholera to Haiti and for peacekeeper sexual exploitation and abuse; international actor accountability for detrimental foreign aid practices; reducing impunity for high-powered criminals; promoting representative and participatory elections; emblematic cases of state violence against civilians, and legal empowerment and access to justice work for marginalized communities in Haiti.
Interns will work with and be supervised by IJDH attorneys on the following:
● Domestic and international legal and policy research;
● Supporting advocacy within the United Nations system, with the U.S. government and with international institutions;
● Participating in regular team strategy meetings; and
● Contributing to media and public advocacy work, including drafting advocacy materials, press releases, talking points, providing project management support and contributing to social media work.
● Current 2L, 3L or LLM students with a demonstrated background in human rights, social justice and/or international law;
● Excellent written and oral communication skills;
● High level of initiative and self-motivation;
● Ability to handle sensitive relationships and protect the confidentiality of our work and our communications; and
● Strong verbal and written skills in French; knowledge of Haitian Creole a plus.
This is an unpaid internship. Arrangements for academic credit can be explored.
Law students interested in the position of Fall Legal Intern should submit a cover letter, resume, law school transcript, short writing sample, and contact information for two references as soon as possible. Please send all application materials electronically to [email protected] and include “Legal Intern Fall 2020” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until places are filled, so applicants are strongly encouraged to submit applications early on.
- Institute for Justice & Democracy in Haiti
- Job Posting Expires On