Director of Human Resources and Operations - International Institute of New England, Inc.
The International Institute of New England (IINE) is a non-profit organization that provides humanitarian relief, education, skills training, job placement, family reunification and pathways to citizenship for 2,000 immigrants and refugees each year. We work in Boston and Lowell, Massachusetts, and Manchester, New Hampshire.
IINE is the oldest and second largest resettlement agency in the region and has the largest Central American family reunification program in Greater Boston. More than 500 refugees and immigrants enroll in our education programs annually, and each year we connect hundreds of new Americans to jobs in New England companies.
A dynamic, forward-looking, smart and rapidly growing non-profit organization, we seek well-qualified, solutions-focused candidates who are experts in their respective fields. We are excited to share the career opportunity below and look forward to receiving your application!
Reports to: President & Chief Executive Officer
Supervises: Intern Program Manager, Digital Communications Manager, and Technology Consultant
Status: Exempt, Full Time
Start Date: July 6, 2020
The International Institute of New England (IINE) is a mission-driven, non-profit human services organization serving refugees and immigrants in Massachusetts and New Hampshire. We offer resettlement, education, career, and legal services to 2,500 people each year in three field offices, Boston and Lowell, Massachusetts, and Manchester, New Hampshire. We have a staff of 65 full- and part-time employees and approximately 90 “on-call” interpreters and drivers. IINE hosts 35-60 interns each year, and recruits dozens of volunteers to support our work.
We are looking for an energetic Director of Human Resources and Operations who will continue to facilitate and streamline operations across our three offices and support IINE staff to realize a healthy, respectful and supportive workplace. A member of IINE’s senior leadership team, this position is responsible for the effective planning and implementation of IINE’s recruiting, human resource operations, and personnel policies. S/he supports IINE directors and managers with employee relations, seeking guidance from outside counsel and resources as required. The successful candidate will enjoy making systems work and have sufficient expertise to manage personnel matters.
The Director of Human Resources and Operations works closely with the finance office to ensure that purchases are authorized and personnel and payroll information and records are up-to-date and accurate. With support from site-based Office Managers, the Director of Human Resources and Operations directs facility and vendor relations at each site, maintains inventory and staffing systems, creates and improves internal and external communications practices, monitors safety and evacuation plans, and ensures that centralized procedures are disseminated at the site level.
The Director of Human Resources and Operations is a team player committed to our mission of serving refugees and immigrants who focuses on finding operational solutions that allow staff to meet goals and objectives. S/he works to protect IINE from liability, ensures that IINE adheres to sound employment practices, and supports staff to ensure employee growth and retention. The Director regularly visits IINE field offices to develop stronger relations with employees and to address operational issues.
- Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of administrative, business management or related experience required
- Relevant educational experience accepted in place of professional experience
- High level of interpersonal poise and professionalism
- Ability to interface, negotiate, and influence at all levels of the organization
- Strong written communication skills, including the ability to draft policies and standard operating procedures.
- Experience fielding and addressing concerns from employees
- Strong relationship building skills with all levels of management; ability to maintain a high-level of confidentiality for both Leadership Team and the organization as a whole
- Demonstrated superior organizational and time management skills; ability to multi-task and prioritize workload
- Demonstrated experience designing and implementing the systems and processes outlined in the responsibilities for this role.
- Experience developing and implementing diversity and inclusion initiatives
- Understanding of employment law;
- previous experience with employment law, including via legal counsel on retainer, a plus
- Ability to professionally interact with diverse internal and external groups
- Demonstrated experience utilizing and troubleshooting software and technology:
- Advanced proficiency in all areas of Microsoft Office
- Experience with Salesforce, Apricot, OfficeWise, ClearCompany or related databases preferred
- Advanced understanding of phone, printer, and computer software/hardware essential
- Bilingual/bi-cultural candidates are encouraged to apply
- Must have access to a personal vehicle and have a current driver’s license; the position involves regular travel to our locations in Lowell, Boston, and Manchester, New Hampshire
- A demonstrated interest in the mission of the organization;
- experience working with immigrants and refugees, or supporting others who serve those communities, preferred
- Occasional lifting (up to 25 pounds), bending, pulling, and carrying.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Recruiting & Onboarding
- Maintain and continuously develop ClearCompany, IINE’s recruitment platform
- Design scorecards, interview assessments, email templates, etc.
- Provide 1:1 support and group trainings on IINE’s recruitment system
- Design and implement quality control mechanisms to ensure hiring managers adhere to IINE policies and thoroughly and fairly vet candidates.
- Coordinate offer letters and employment document processing
- Process or delegate background checks, I-9 verifications, and Predictive Index requests
- Ensure each new employee is provided quality onboarding by Manager.
- Review benefits with each new eligible employee within 2 weeks of their start (preferably in person).
- Direct the efforts of Office Managers tasked with setting up accounts, equipment, space, etc.
- Establish and host open office hours at each site on a biweekly basis
- Communicate changes in IINE policies, staffing, and processes on a regular basis
Compensation & Payroll
- Update Compensation Chart bimonthly
- Develop IINE Salary Scale and ensure IINE salaries are competitive with the human services industry in Boston
- Coordinate with accounting team to ensure timely processing of biweekly payroll
- Address concerns and questions regarding timecards directly to managers
Administration & Documentation
- Oversee all changes and terminations, coordinating with finance team and IINE’s 3rd party payroll and benefits provider
- Maintain updated digital personnel files for all employees, I-9s for all employees, and job descriptions for all positions. Ensure ADP profiles are also kept updated.
- Manage the employee evaluation system, including monitoring 90-day and quarterly evaluations; improving the evaluation tools; training staff on evaluations; and ensuring that employee evaluations are placed in personnel files
- Update the Employee Personnel Manual as requested and/or needed, coordinating updates with legal counsel to ensure that the manual is current with state and federal laws
- Serve as the primary point of contact with the IINE’s legal counsel, seeking guidance from counsel on employee relations and other matters
- Prepare HR reports for Leadership and the Board of Directors as required
- Serve as a resource for managers who request or require support with direct reports.
- Advise on appropriate action and consult legal counsel when appropriate.
- Meet with employees when necessary to hear about issues with supervisors, elevating any issue to the appropriate Director or Leadership Team member as appropriate
- Conduct exit interviews, manage severance arrangements, and handle any post-employment communication with past employees.
- Identify and explain any trends in exit interview data in reports to Leadership and the Board
- Responsible for reviewing and explaining organization’s policies and procedures with all employees annually and ensuring policies are reviewed with new employees upon their hire
- Ensure legal compliance, including ADA compliance, by monitoring and implementing applicable federal and state requirements, conducting investigations, maintaining records, and representing the IINE in hearings and other legal proceedings
- Process Unemployment notices from the States of NH and MA in a timely fashion
- Support the annual review of health, dental and other insurance options in conjunction with the CFO.
- Coordinate the annual open enrollment period, including communicating changes in benefits and the enrollment timeline to employees.
- Conduct an annual benefits survey to gauge staff satisfaction and understanding of benefits provided that plan year; deliver results of survey in person with CFO.
- Return to each site to present options for coming plan year once identified.
- Process any changes to an employee’s benefits with IINE’s 3rd party payroll and benefits provider
- Serve as the primary contact with the International Institute’s workers’ compensation insurance agent for filing employee workers’ compensation claims
- Ensure standardization of IINE network and individual site administrative processes including front office reception and management
- Maintain the site drives, and assign user permissions based on employee role and responsibility.
- Coordinate asset inventory records as well as on-and-off site storage
- Identify and pursue opportunities to improve staff safety and experience; conduct an annual review of emergency processes and a safety survey of each site, update safety policies and procedures when needed and review with all staff on a bi-annual basis.
- Identify ways to streamline and improve IINE operations, including new forms and processes.
- Visit IINE field offices regularly to identify and address operational issues
- Ensure appropriate maintenance of all technology
- Anticipate future hardware, software, and technology system needs
- Generate an annual procurement proposal that outlines recommended software and hardware purchases for the year, based on equipment age, and existing and anticipated positions
- Support the Chief Financial Officer in selecting technology consultants and serve as the liaison to all technology support professionals.
- Support the filing of all administrative permits, certificates, and licenses with the IINE Public Contracts Coordinator
- Coordinate administrative and capital purchases in consultation with the Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
- Coordinate the annual liability insurance process with insurance broker for CFO review
- Coordinate office moves and space reorganizations
- Maintain the Human Resources ([email protected]).
- Track, monitor, and manage the progress of designated projects, action items, and strategies as directed by the President/CEO
CONTRACT AND VENDOR MANAGEMENT
- Direct and assist the Office Managers to source and review vendors related to operations and facility management
- Coordinate contract review, approval and signature process for operations, facility management, and consultants
- Maintain all related filing systems
- Attend and prepare minutes from Board committee meetings as required
- Attend quarterly Board meetings and prepare minutes for distribution
Please note that a resume, cover letter, and writing sample are required as part of this application. Writing samples can be of any length and on any topic, but should convey your ability to organize your thoughts, as well communicate concisely and clearly. Please apply at:
- International Institute of New England, Inc.
- Job Posting Expires On