Community Health Educator - Dana-Farber/Harvard Cancer Center
Community Health Educator
The Dana-Farber/Harvard Cancer Center, Office of Cancer Equity and Engagement (OCEE) seeks to hire a full-time Community Health Educator (CHE) to be the center of our outreach efforts in the community. The focus of these community education efforts are 1) increasing minority participation in clinical trials and 2) HPV vaccination. The Community Health Educator will implement educational projects in these areas for community members with the OCEE program team. The CHE will be a full participant in the NCI’s National Outreach Network (NON) and will participate in all NON-sponsored trainings to establish core standards for community outreach and will look for opportunities to implement those standards through other activities and within the DF/HCC. S/he will also disseminate NCI-related messages and programs as appropriate in the proposed project and will serve as a resource for these dissemination efforts within DF/HCC. Under direct supervision of the OCEE, the Community Health Worker will be responsible for:
· Working closely with the Cancer Care Equity Program Faculty Director to deliver targeted educational programs in the neighboring community, focused on clinical trial participation tailored to underrepresented minorities and vulnerable patient populations
· Facilitating education, recruitment, and follow-up of patients into available clinical trial studies within the DF/HCC
· Providing administrative and community engagement support to the CCEP program, including the management of data collection and patient information
· Working closely with the DFCI Director of Community Benefits to support the work of the state-wide HPV coalition
· Working with community and faith-based organizations across Massachusetts to deliver HPV Vaccination education and community outreach services
· Assisting in the planning, organization, and execution of the annual Massachusetts HPV Symposium, including arranging vendors, speakers, and all relevant logistics
· Evaluating the impact of all community outreach efforts utilizing NCI based resources
· Coordinating and overseeing the collection and management of all NCI’s National Outreach Network related data
· Participating in the activities of the NCI’s National Outreach Network including conferences, projects and monthly Working Groups calls
· Assisting OCEE Director in writing and submitting IRB amendments and continuing reviews, annual NIH report, and other reports as needed.
· Maintaining the security and confidentiality of all program materials and data.
· Notifying the OCEE Program Manager of issues relating to study progress.
· Assisting in other OCEE related projects, as necessary.
· Bachelor’s degree with some experience, or recent Masters Degree in public health Health education, community organizing, nursing, or social science preferred.
· 1-2 years of experience in conducting health education and outreach among diverse communities strongly preferred
· 1-2 years of project coordination experience, preferably in a research or academic setting strongly preferred; Experience with IRB is strongly preferred
· Experience working with underserved communities including underrepresented populations, low income, first-generation students and students with disabilities
· Car and Massachusetts driver’s license required
· Strong personal initiative: the ability to work independently and creatively
· Bilingual (Spanish/English) strongly preferred
· Excellent interpersonal skills: mature, dependable, enthusiastic, motivated, and willing to learn new tasks
· Excellent organizational (attention to detail), communication skills (oral and written), and problem-solving skills
- Dana-Farber/Harvard Cancer Center
- Job Posting Expires On