The Boston University Global Development Policy (GDP) Center seeks a Communications and Outreach Associate to assist in monitoring and executing communications strategies across media relations, digital media, email marketing and stakeholder outreach for its Global China Initiative (GCI).
The GDP Center is a University-wide research center that works to advance policy-oriented research for financial stability, human well-being and environmental sustainability. To fulfill that mission, we conduct rigorous policy research; provide a convening place for scholars and stakeholders; engage in policy dialogue with policymakers, civil society and reporters; and offer experiential learning for Boston University students.
GCI examines the extent to which Chinese overseas economic activity and engagement with international institutions fosters a more stable, socially inclusive and environmentally sustainable world economy. GCI has three research programs: Energy and Climate; Forestry, Agriculture and Indigenous Rights in the Belt and Road Initiative; and China and the International Economic Order. GCI also manages a suite of five interactive public databases that collectively track hundreds of billions of dollars in Chinese loans and investment to a variety of sectors, including energy and infrastructure development.
The Communications and Outreach Associate will work with the Assistant Director for Communications and Outreach and the Assistant Director for GCI to:
- Develop strategies and outreach plans for English and Chinese language audiences for GCI research products, webinars, commentary and database updates;
- Monitor and track media coverage for GCI projects and curate press lists;
- Support management of English and Chinese social media accounts, including drafting and scheduling posts;
- Craft engaging emails to subscribers in English and Chinese;
- Design/support creation of multimedia, such as infographics, social media flyers and videos in English and Chinese.
- Draft summary blog posts in English and Chinese;
- Update the English and Chinese versions of the website to add new publications and events;
- Conduct promotional outreach and craft outreach strategies for relevant stakeholders, including Chinese-language policymakers and audiences;
- Serve as key conduit for sharing research and information with Chinese partners and target audiences;
- Monitor Chinese policy dates and events, identify potential policy points of entry for research and experts;
- Organize logistics of on-campus events and meetings under supervision;
- Organize events and workshops in China and elsewhere under supervision;
- Coordinate with external partners on joint events and initiatives;
- Manage the translation process for GCI publications and review Chinese language translations for quality control.
- Fluency in Chinese and strong proficiency in English are required;
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, PR or related field; Master’s degree preferred;
- Ability to complete assigned projects and tasks independently;
- Understanding of current events and politics;
- Strong writing and editing skills;
- Basic experience and interest working in research/policy-oriented communications;
- Experience using WordPress to update websites;
- Experience handling professional social media accounts, including Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Weibo, BiliBili and WeChat;
- Experience with email marketing systems such as Hubspot, Mailchimp, etc.;
- Experience working with Cision or comparable media relations software or desire to learn;
- Interest in global development policy and topics such as China, global economic governance, energy, climate, biodiversity and international finance;
- Experience conducting outreach to policymakers, especially in China;
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, InDesign, Adobe Suite, Outlook 365, and online meeting technology.
This position is based in Boston, MA and available for hybrid work with approval.
For more information and to submit an application, please visit: https://www.bu.edu/gdp/about-us/careers/
- Boston University Global Development Policy Center
- Job Posting Expires On