Communications and Events Manager - Harvard's Center for International Development
Communications and Events Manager
Harvard Kennedy School
358056 Admin Pro/Indiv Contrib
The Center for International Development (CID) at Harvard University is a global leader in research that expands the understanding of development challenges and offers viable solutions to some of the world’s most pressing problems. CID brings together a diverse community at Harvard and beyond to help train future leaders of international development, build partnerships for direct engagement, and design and implement policies to create positive change in the world. Communications, including an effective website and well-run events, are important tools CID uses to convene thinkers and spread ideas far beyond the bounds of the University.
CID has an opening for a Communications and Events Manager. Under the direction of the Director of Strategic Engagement and Development, the successful candidate will conduct activities that maximize the Center’s reach, name, and impact. The Manager will interact closely with the Faculty Director as well as directors, staff, and research fellows of the three programs housed at CID. The successful candidate would be creative entrepreneurial, self-driven, have excellent communication, design, and organizational skills, and a passion for being part of a team that endeavors to make a positive impact in the world.
The position entails communicating CID’s work to a variety of audiences including donors, policymakers, the development community, and general public, overseeing website redevelopment and management, and hosting frequent CID events. Primary responsibilities include developing communication and promotional material, updating, expanding, and managing CID’s portfolio of websites, producing both weekly and marquee events, overseeing and posting on social media, and building CID’s visual and multimedia brand in collaboration with the Communications Assistant.
Specifically, the Communications Manager will be responsible for three types of tasks.
- Work with CID leadership team to help design, develop, and implement the overall communication strategy.
- Design and develop a range of promotional materials, as well as informational/visual pieces, infographics and newsletters for internal and external audiences.
- Manage the process of redeveloping and integrating CID’s websites (currently in Drupal 8 and OpenScholar), in collaboration with Harvard Kennedy School’s Office of Communications and Public Affairs and in accordance with Harvard’s accessibility policies.
- Maintaining the websites going forward. This entails gathering content from each of the three programs, drafting pages, and continuously updating publications, news items, blog posts, and staff bios. Stylistic and grammatical corrections may be necessary.
- Cultivating the presence and content of social media profiles (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Flickr, LinkedIn, Instagram, etc.) including writing posts.
- Create regular reports on web and social media traffic using Google Analytics and other tools.
- Build a large mailing list. Migrate data from Constant Contact into Salesforce.
- Plan and execute high-profile marquee events; conduct public relations campaigns around them.
- Design, promote and execute a weekly speaker series. This includes mapping out and curating the content as it aligns with the Center’s ongoing research, booking rooms, ordering food for students, hosting the speaker, managing AV, and producing print and web promotional materials.
- Oversee CID’s student Podcast Editor to produce and post a weekly podcast.
- Develop and manage the events and outreach budget, and engage with Harvard financial systems in processing invoices. Liaise with internal and external providers including facilities, catering, media and technology services, security, and other vendors.
Outreach and general tasks
- Own an editorial calendar outlining weekly strategic promotion of research, events, op-eds and new initiatives, coordinating with staff and fellows to develop content.
- Contribute to CID’s mission by accomplishing related duties as required.
- Coordinate with CID programs to promote their content.
The successful candidate will gain exposure to ground-breaking research on the best ways to address poverty, high-level academic fundraising initiatives, and opportunities to interact with the vibrant Harvard community.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum 3 years of progressive experience including design, communications, professional social media management, events management, and/or outreach.
- Experience managing websites.
- Experience using MS Office (particularly MS Excel) as well as presentation and design platforms (e.g. PowerPoint, Adobe Suite, etc.), and creative production workflows.
- Excellent visual, graphic and multimedia design sense
- Demonstrated designing, writing, proofreading, and social media skills
- Experience in visual, graphic and multimedia content design, development, and delivery
- Keen attention to detail; ability to work independently and in collaboration with internal stakeholders
- Ability to deliver work results of high quality while managing multiple projects under time pressure, and function well in a fast-paced and frequently changing work environment with minimum supervision
- Experience with Adobe Suite and related design software
- Experience in university, fundraising, and/or social science communications
- Proficiency in Drupal and HTML/CSS
- Experience with fundraising communications and database management, particularly in SalesForce
This is a fully benefits eligible term position to end one year from date of hire.
Harvard University regrets we are unable to provide visa sponsorship.
Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background checks.
Harvard University is committed to supporting a healthy, sustainable learning and working environment.
- Harvard's Center for International Development
- Job Posting Expires On