John Snow, Inc. (JSI)
Application Deadline: Open until the position is filled
Position Type: Full-time
Location: Boston, MA or Arlington, VA
JSI, a public health firm dedicated to advancing the health of individuals and communities in the United States and around the world, is seeking to add a dynamic and experienced Communications Advisor to our International Division. This position will be responsible for providing communications leadership and support to a portfolio of international projects that focuses on a wide range of topics, including HIV prevention, care, and treatment; maternal, newborn, and child health; nutrition; family planning; tuberculosis prevention, detection, and treatment; and more.
How we work
We pride ourselves on being a workplace where people with a wide variety of lived experiences have the freedom to pursue their interests and take an active part in shaping the future directions of our work. Our organizational culture is strong—we care about each other as professionals and as people. We are team-oriented and value laughing as hard as we work.
About the role
We are seeking a full-time Communications Advisor dedicated to finding creative and innovative ways of communicating our work to a variety of audiences, including donors, ministries of health, global public health practitioners and researchers, health workers, and civil society. The ideal candidate will actively develop and execute multimedia communications strategies that raise the profile of our work, promote our expertise, and position JSI as a leader in the field of international public health.
This position may be remote.
· Work with international project and country teams to develop and execute project and country-level communications strategies.
· Work closely with project senior advisors, technical advisors, and monitoring and evaluation advisors to ensure that data generated by JSI projects is shared appropriately and creatively with stakeholders (e.g., effective data visualization) and used to tell the story of project achievements.
· Provide guidance to international project and country offices on JSI corporate branding guidelines and funder branding guidelines, in particular USAID.
· Help staff develop relationships with funders and development partner communications staff at headquarters and country team levels.
· Strengthen the capacity of in-country communications staff to lead project and country-level communications efforts for JSI.
· Manage the full production cycle for communications products (print, digital, and audio/visual), including copyediting, layout/design, printing, and strategic dissemination.
· Advise project teams on using online platforms (e.g., social media, blogs, other web-based) to reach in-country and global audiences.
· Support the capacity of headquarters, project staff, and local partners to produce quality written and visual materials; conduct workshops on effective writing, success stories, photography, effective presentations, etc.
· Support country and project teams to plan and execute project launches, end-of-project conferences, and other in-country events as needed, including local media outreach.
· Participate in new business development efforts, including positioning JSI externally to win new work and working with proposal teams to ensure proposals include impactful graphics and other visuals.
· Coordinate with JSI’s corporate communications office to ensure that project milestones are communicated on the corporate/global level for increased exposure for the project and the topic area.
· Contribute to JSI internal working groups in various areas such as new business development; equity, diversity, and inclusion; etc.
· Master's degree in communications, journalism, international affairs, public health, or related field or equivalent professional experience
· Five to eight years of professional experience working in communications for global health, international development, U.S. government, or related fields
· Demonstrated leadership skills and the ability and confidence to work with and advise senior staff on communications best practices
· Demonstrated expertise developing and executing measurable communications strategies
· Experience managing staff or serving in a professional and/or capacity development role, mentoring staff and helping them improve their skills and performance
· Deep understanding of and experience with social media and other digital platform metrics in a professional context
· Data visualization experience is a plus, as well as an eye for data trends and data stories
· Exceptional written and oral communication skills
· Ability to travel internationally (approximately 20-30%)
· Previous experience working for USAID or a USAID-funded project is a plus
· Professional fluency in French is a plus
· Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite a plus
Salary commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates should submit their resumes and cover letters online on JSI’s careers page.
As a recipient of federal funds, JSI must adhere to Executive Order 14042 (Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors), which requires covered employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Covered employees are defined as US-based staff who are or will be physically present in a US office or telecommuters who currently reside in the US. Applicants requesting consideration for religious and/or medical exemption will be considered.
JSI is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status, gender identity, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information, political affiliation, or protected veteran status in any employment decisions. M/F/V/D
If you are an individual with a disability, or a disabled veteran and unable to apply online for an available position, you may submit your request for reasonable accommodation by calling Human Resources at 617-482-9485.
Please read this notice entitled Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law, and this "EEO is the Law" Poster Supplement.
- John Snow, Inc. (JSI)
- Job Posting Expires On