Boston Network for International Development, Inc.
Board Member Job Description
The Boston Network for International Development, Inc.’s (“BNID”) mission is to serve as a point of connection for groups and individuals in the Greater Boston area who are concerned with issues of international development, human rights, global justice, peacebuilding, humanitarian aid, and related sectors. BNID serves as a convenor and network weaver to support community growth and collective learning through programs on current events, career development, non-profit management, and more.
BNID seeks a new member of its board of directors (the “Board”) to serve an initial three-year term with eligibility for re-appointment for an additional term. The new member of the Board will support the work of BNID and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by BNID’s Executive Director (“ED”), the Board-ED relationship is a partnership in which the Board plays an active role in carrying out the mission of the organization. Applicants must be motivated to participate and be involved in BNID.
Duties and Responsibilities
● As a member of a working Board as opposed to a governing Board, contribute on average 10-15 hours per month to BNID duties and responsibilities
● Attend, virtually or in-person, all board meetings through active attendance, preparation, timely and substantive questions and analysis, and special projects and tasks. Failure to attend two consecutive Board meetings will result in disciplinary actions and possible removal from the Board.
● Actively serve on at least one Board committee (Revenue, Governance, Organizational Membership, and Academic Partnership).
● Make an annual financial contribution to BNID that is commensurate with such member’s capacity. Having all Board members make a donation gives BNID credibility when soliciting contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals.
● Assist the ED and Board Chair in identifying and recruiting other Board members and staff while ensuring BNID’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
● Respond to requests from Board Chair and ED in a timely manner
● Represent BNID to stakeholders, acting as an ambassador for the organization ● Comply with BNID’s conflict of interest policy as set forth in BNID’s bylaws
Skills and Qualifications
● Located in the Greater Boston area.
● Nonprofit board experience (preferably international in nature) and/or eagerness to play a key (and possible leadership) role on the Board.
● Passionate about BNID’s mission and interest in leveraging own network to deepen connections with BNID partners.
● Desire to take an active role in the operations of a nonprofit, including serving on at least one Board committee.
● Entrepreneurial attitude to take on and manage BNID initiatives.
● Experience or interest in international development and global justice, particularly with global organizations in the Greater Boston area.
● Capable of committing to 3 years on the Board.
● Preference will be given to applicants with any of the following skills:
○ Accounting: Excellent understanding of accounting concepts, rules, and procedures and advanced knowledge of tax preparation and filing processes;
○ Event Planning: Proven success planning and coordinating events to further maintain and build organization’s objectives;
○ Marketing: Knowledge of marketing-related business practices, including online advertising, market research, social media outreach, and product launches
○ Higher education: Knowledge of and experience working with undergraduate and graduate institutions in the Greater Boston area, preferably academic or career/student services
Service on the Board is without remuneration, except for administrative support in relation to Board members’ duties.
Board members make a real difference in the international development community of the Greater Boston area. BNID encourages Board members to take on initiatives that resonate with their passions and interests. Also, as part of a networking organization, Board members greatly expand their existing community with influential people across a variety of industries.
For More Information
BNID hosted a virtual information session on our Board of Directors recruitment; Linked here is a recording of that call.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
BNID is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion as ongoing practices and ethical commitments within our own organization, the partnerships we cultivate, programs and events we support, stories we tell, conversations we foster, and the networks we support and grow. We celebrate the diversity of identities, experiences, and perspectives that comprise our community because we know this makes us more effective, and seek to reflect that diversity more fully ourselves. We strive for a culture of respect, inclusion, and eagerness to continuously learn, adapt and grow.
In the Google Form, please share your resume, at least one reference, and answer the questions listed.
- Boston Network for International Development (BNID)
- Job Posting Expires On