BNID Board Member - Boston Network for International Development
The Boston Network for International Development, Inc.’s (“BNID”) mission is to serve as a point of connection for groups and individuals in the Boston area who are concerned with issues of international development and global justice.
The board of directors of BNID (the “Board”) will support the work of BNID and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by BNID’s Executive Director (“ED”), the Board-ED relationship is a partnership in which the Board largely plays a role in furthering the mission of the organization. The appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected.
Leadership, Governance, and Oversight
• Serving as a trusted advisor to the ED as they develop and implement BNID’s strategic plan
• Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by BNID for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics
• Reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
• Attending, virtually or in-person, all board meetings through active attendance, preparation, timely and substantive questions and analysis, and special projects and tasks
• Approving BNID’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions
• Being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
• Assisting the ED and Board Chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
• Partnering with the ED and other Board members to ensure that Board resolutions are carried out
• Serving on at least one Board committee
• Respond to requests from Board Chair and ED in a timely manner
• Representing BNID to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
• Ensuring BNID’s commitment to a diverse Board and staff that reflects the communities BNID serves
• Complying with BNID’s conflict of interest policy as set forth in BNID’s bylaws as well as disclosing potential conflicts before meetings and actual conflicts during meetings
Each member of the Board will consider BNID a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that BNID can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, BNID expects to have 100 percent of the Board make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity.
BNID’s Board members will serve three-year terms and be eligible for re-appointment for additional terms. Board meetings will be held at least quarterly and committee meetings will be held in coordination with full Board meetings. Board members must attend every Board meeting either telephonically or in-person. Failure to attend two consecutive Board meetings will result in disciplinary actions (see below).
If any Board member fails to fulfill any of the duties related to Leadership, Governance, and Oversight and Board Participation, the Board Chair and Governance Committee, jointly and not individually, shall determine whether to bring a resolution to the Board to remove the applicable Board member from the Board.
Service on BNID’s Board is without remuneration, except for administrative support in relation to Board members’ duties.
Skills and Qualifications
BNID is looking for candidates with the following skills and qualifications:
• Preferred prior nonprofit board experience (preferably international in nature) and/or eagerness to be involved in governance and operations of a nonprofit
• Interest and/or experience in international development and global justice, particularly with global organizations with roots in the Greater Boston area
• Ability to commit to a 3-year term on the Board with the opportunity to renew for a second 3-year term
• Located in the Greater Boston area
• Ability to actively participate in at least one board committee and attend regular monthly meetings (Committees include Programs, Revenue, and Governance)
• Passionate about BNID’s mission and interest in leveraging own network to deepen connections with BNID partners
We are particularly interested in candidates who would participate in and contribute to BNID’s Revenue Committee. Experience with accounting, budget management, or fundraising is strongly preferred, and familiarity with QuickBooks is preferred but not required.
BNID’s Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
BNID is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion as ongoing practices and ethical commitments within our own organization, the partnerships we cultivate, programs and events we support, stories we tell, conversations we foster, and the networks we support and grow. We celebrate the diversity of identities, experiences, and perspectives that comprise our community because we know this makes us more effective, and seek to reflect that diversity more fully ourselves. We strive for a culture of respect, inclusion, and eagerness to continuously learn, adapt and grow.
In the Google Form, please share your resume, at least one reference, and answer the questions listed: https://bit.ly/2M5Q8H9
- Boston Network for International Development
- Board Member
- Job Posting Expires On